Website City Market, Onion River Co-Op
The Director of People and Culture (DPC) is member of the Executive Team (ET) ensuring an inextricable link between the Co-op’s strategic goals and its people, while holding and cultivating the culture of the organization.
The position will lead the People and Culture (P&C) team and need to possess a strong foundation of HR knowledge and union labor relations experience to implement human resource policies and procedures, and establish cultural objectives to allow the Co-op to attract, hire, retain and promote the organization as an employer of choice locally as well as with our industry peers as a model co-operative.
This person needs to be humble, genuine, patient, curious, compassionate and always come from a place of learning and care. A people person who seeks to connect with employees at all levels throughout the organization. This person must also be strategic, possess a strong foundation of HR knowledge, experienced in union labor relations, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and be a role model of professionalism and adaptability. This person must be willing to be a catalyst for change and an employee champion. Modeling, creating and upholding the Co-op’s culture anchored in our six values of kindness, diversity, fun, learning, responsibility and positive impact are of the utmost importance.
The Director of People & Culture is responsible for providing the highest level of service possible first and foremost to our co-workers followed by to our customers, vendors and community. This position requires the highest standards of professionalism and contributes towards a positive work environment with personal conduct and excellence.
The Director of People & Culture position directly oversees:
- Assistant Director of People & Culture
And indirectly oversees:
- HR Business Partner
- Two HR Generalists
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A trusted leader, advisor and coach broadly for all staff, but particularly to the Executive and Senior Management Teams to develop their leadership capability, team effectiveness, strategic insight, and operational performance.
- Actively involved in the development of organizational initiatives including the annual business plan, budgeting planning process and other long-term projects.
- Experienced with labor relations to ensure compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), develop and maintain productive relations with our Union Executive Board and National Union Representatives, oversee the resolution of all grievances, and be the lead person for the Management Negotiations team.
- Conduct prompt and thorough internal investigations and follow through with measures in keeping with policy and applicable law.
- Possess an extensive foundation of HR knowledge with the ability to leverage it for the growth of the business and our employees.
- Develop the P&C team’s annual business plan and budget and monitor accordingly.
- Develop and implement strategies to address justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) within the organization.
- Work with the Assistant Director of P&C as well as ET and SMT to implement strategies for employee engagement and retention at the All Leadership Team (ALT) level as well as broader All Staff; oversee work performed by the broader P&C team for CBU staff.
- For the All Leadership Team (ALT), oversee the performance appraisal process and assist with goal development. Collaborate on suggestions for individual training that will enhance growth and development. For CBU staff, oversee this work when performed by the broader P&C team.
- Work with SMT on all aspects of employee relations in their departments. Assist SMT with documentation of disciplinary action and terminations and their proper documentation.
- Work with insurance companies and appropriate outside consultants to ensure that annual contracts are negotiated in a timely fashion and to the benefit of the Co-op and its employees.
- Be an active member on the Finance committee and participate in the stewardship of fiscal investments for retirement plans.
- Develop competitive compensation and benefit structure in keeping with the size and needs of the current employee base and best practices. Conduct annual compensation review, using labor market data and models such as livable wage, and participate in development of labor budgets for the Co-op.
- Work to ensure compliance with all relevant Federal and State laws.
- Hire qualified P&C staff and oversee HR functions performed by members of the P&C team.
- Oversee all HR functions performed by members of the P&C team. This role is ultimately responsible for the professional execution of HR functions by all members of the P&C team.
- Represent the Co-op in public functions and events, contribute to Board of Director meetings and documents and any other duties as requested by the General Manager.
- As member of ALT, this position will direct and oversee the work of others by: making decisions that affect workflow and procedures within their departments, being involved in group decision making for organizational planning, and implementing immediate and long-range planning as well as tactical and strategic thinking for departmental business needs and personnel development.
- This position is regularly exposed to organization-wide confidential information: including but not limited to: financial, personnel, customer and vendor. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- Adhere to policies outlined in City Market’s Employee and Management Guides. Follow all department policies and procedures for City Market to adhere to State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
- Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops and perform other duties as assigned from the General Manager.
- Adhere to policies as outlined in the City Market’s Employee Guide and City Market’s Management Guide. Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
Core Co-op Competencies
- The ability to remain objective, fair and consistent when making HR decisions.
- Capable of developing and maintaining strong, positive relationships.
- Superior interpersonal communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Always maintains approachability with neutrality as a resource for employees.
- Ability to model competencies in the areas of relationship management, communication, leadership, business acumen, fostering teamwork, and accountability.
- Ability to creatively problem solve a wide variety of interpersonal issues and conflicts.
- Ability to develop and implement effective systems, policies and procedures and update as needed.
- Sense of humor!
- Be a team player. A team player is one who has the “willingness to consider the effects of one’s own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.”
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, following the proper channels as outlined by your supervisor(s) as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Ability to follow through on commitments and having a high sense of personal and professional accountability.
- A consistent and genuine ability to project a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly, prioritize effectively and problem solve within established guidelines.
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
Qualifications & Skills
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent required; Master’s or further study preferred.
- At least 10 years of leadership and strategic management experience.
- At least 10 years of HR Management experience including proficiency with state and federal labor laws, benefits management, HRIS systems, unionized workforce, compensation analyses, employee training, performance evaluation models and other appropriate HR functions.
- Experience with or having significant knowledge of labor negotiations as well as handing of grievances and arbitrations.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
- SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, SPHR or PHR highly preferred.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Public speaking and presentation skills are essential.
- HRIS and ATS (applicant tracking system) experience preferred.
- Travel Requirements
This position will occasionally be required to work at other City Market locations for coverage or to attend required meetings, trainings, etc. Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Work Environment & Physical Requirement
- This job operates in a professional office environment with noise levels varying from quiet to moderate in shared office spaces. This is largely a sedentary role; however, ability to occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc.
Gallagher, Flynn, & Company, LLP has been retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Shane Capron at email@example.com. While we appreciate all interest in this opportunity, only candidates most closely aligned with our search will be contacted.
Disclaimer: What is listed above is representative of the responsibilities of the position but are not meant to be an exhaustive list. Responsibilities may change during employment at the company’s discretion. Gallagher, Flynn & Company, LLP and our client do not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org