Website The Cheeseboard Collective
A worker-owned bakery, pizzeria, and cheese shop
The Cheese Board Collective is a worker-owned cooperative. Our pizzeria, cheese shop, and bakery operates on a rolling hiring schedule. Applications are reviewed biweekly. Before membership, workers must complete a 6-month candidacy period. Candidates will work primarily at either the pizzeria or cheese shop and bakery where they are initially hired.
Please submit applications online or in person by November 27 to be considered for a January 22 start day. Applications submitted after November 27 will be considered for a February 26 start date.
We are looking for applicants who can envision working at Cheese Board for a long time.
Please submit the following:
- Resume (to email@example.com)
- Brief cover letter (optional) (to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Completed and signed Cheese Board Collective Application (online at https://cheeseboardcollective.coop/about-us/join-our-collective/ )
- Two Professional References (included in the application)
We encourage people of color, women, queer, and trans folks to apply. We are striving toward a diverse and supportive community. We do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, gender or sex, religion, size, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, economic background or educational history.
Benefits of Working At The Cheese Board
Members work together in a close-knit environment and are involved in every aspect of operating the business. Everyone is given the opportunity to learn all aspects of the business. It is a privilege and responsibility of membership to work toward the successful continued operation and growth of our collective. All workers are required to attend business meetings where the group makes decisions using a modified consensus process.
All workers are paid a living wage, $28 per hour. In addition, worker-owners receive a share of the profits based on the number of hours worked. Candidates and worker-owners are offered medical and dental insurance free of charge. Members and candidates accrue PTO at a rate of 1 hour per 11 hours worked (about 5 weeks/year), and have 1 week in August, the first week of January, and the weekend after Thanksgiving off work. Once they become members, worker-owners receive additional benefits including a 401k.
PIZZERIA Work Description:
Our work is fast paced, and physically demanding. Candidates will work 8-hour days, usually 4 days a week. In addition to the production work schedule, candidates must attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and training sessions. This comes out to average about 35 hours per week.We require that candidates be flexible and available to work during all production hours 6:00AM- 9:00PM Monday through Saturday.
Some of our tasks include preparing ingredients, making dough, building and baking pizzas, cashiering, ordering, committee work and other organizational duties outside of scheduled shift work. We all share in the considerable amount of clean up work.
BAKERY AND CHEESE SHOP Work Description:
Candidates will work Candidates will work 8-hour days, usually 4 days a week. In addition to the production work schedule, candidates must attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and training sessions. This comes out to average about 35 hours per week.We require that members be flexible and available to work during all production hours 4:00AM-8:00PM Monday through Saturday. Full time work at the Bakery and Cheese division usually means working 4 shifts.
Some of our tasks include waiting on customers with a strong emphasis on great customer service, selling cheese, working the bread and coffee line, making coffee drinks, making dough, rolling and baking breads, ordering, committee work and other organizational duties outside of scheduled shift work. We are also always educating ourselves on the newest cheeses and bread production techniques. We all share in the considerable amount of clean up work.
Work Expectations and Requirements of New Candidates
- Must be able to read, write and speak English. We encourage multi-linguists to apply
- Must be able to demonstrate professionalism and communicate effectively
- Must have great customer service skills
- Must be able to stand on your feet for 6–10 hours a day
- Must be able to lift up to 50lb (with reasonable accommodation, if required)
- Must have a willingness to learn
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties
- Must be punctual
- Must have a love of food
- Must be able to taste cheese and the wheat products we produce and sell
- Food handling experience is preferred, but not required
Scheduling and Availability
- Must be able to work shifts that start at 6am or that end at 10pm at the pizzeria
- Must be able to work shifts that start at 4:00am or that end at 8:00pm at the bakery/cheese shop
- Ability to work Fridays and Saturdays
- Must be available to work the 2 weeks into Thanksgiving including the Mon-Wed of Thanksgiving week, the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the week between Christmas and New Years. All candidates and members have off the Thurs-Sun of Thanksgiving week, the first full week in August, and the first week of January.
Ownership and Cooperative Mindfulness
- Enthusiastic about interacting with the public and fellow workers
- Excited about working in a democratically managed workplace
- Expected to attend all business meetings, trainings, and workshops.
- Embodies grit and determination. Candidacy can be very challenging and there is a lot to learn and do to be successful. Members will be working with you to ensure your success
- Willingness to “go the extra mile.” Cooperatives succeed as members step between roles of workers and owners. Members must take care of themselves, each other, and the business
Ability to see the big picture
To apply for this job please visit cheeseboardcollective.coop.