The USFWC is the national grassroots membership organization for worker cooperatives and other democratic workplaces. Our mission is to build a thriving cooperative movement of stable, empowering jobs through worker-ownership. Representing more than 250 member workplaces and 7,000 workers across the country, we advance worker-owned, -managed, and -governed workplaces through cooperative education, advocacy and development.
The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring effective and efficient administrative and organizational operations, leading bookkeeping, research and development on internal organizational priorities, and supporting the USFWC’s operational growth plan. This position is a critical member of our team, responsible for maintaining the necessary infrastructure for our USFWC administered benefits and programmatic work to be successful.
Scope of Work:
Operations, Admin & Compliance
- Manage income and expenses: sending invoices, paying bills, processing staff reimbursements and monthly payroll, communicating with membership team about dues receivables and with bookkeeper(s) for timely reports preparation
- Office Maintenance (physical and virtual): Order office supplies and materials, maintain & update organization’s paper files, manage vendor relationships and technology needs, manage address change logistics
- Ensure annual tax returns are filed, supporting CPA to complete
- Human Resource & Legal Compliance: Ensure USFWC is complying with all employment laws, and financial and data security controls
- Licenses & Insurance: Renew annual licenses; review, renew and complete audits for insurance policies, communicate with brokers as necessary.
- Manage Contracts & MOUs: Draft and file contracts and MOUs, review and renew as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Internal Organizational Priorities
- Back-Office Support: Lead research into how USFWC can provide increased member services through a back-office support program
- Operations Manual and Board Handbook: Lead process to update organizational documents; manage ongoing review and maintenance
- Participate in staff meetings, and on occasion, board meetings, and annual retreats as appropriate,
- Collaborate with the staff team at the Democracy At Work Institute on relevant programs
- Coordinate sponsorship outreach for newsletter, bi-annual co-op directory and national conference
- Support the regular mailing to new and existing members
- Assist with design, procurement, and coordination of sales of USFWC merchandise
- Provide back-end support for grassroots fundraising program
- Non-profit operations experience: Three years experience in an admin or operations role is required. Demonstrated competency in Microsoft Office, Google apps, and familiarity with relational databases (we use CiviCRM). Familiarity with bookkeeping platforms software (Bill.com, Quickbooks Online, Harvest) a plus.
- Initiative, attention to detail and 100% follow-through: Ability to manage time well, establish realistic deadlines and meet them consistently. Work should be thorough, accurate and precise. Identify and anticipate organizational needs and meet them, troubleshoot from experience, improve systems, and implement effective models.Member Services, Customer Support, or Community Relations Experience: At least three years of experience providing support services to a targeted community or successful audience–building.Strong communication skills; capable of drafting, editing, and communicating effectively with a wide range of people through many communication channels (group, customer service, emails, report and memo drafting, etc)
Creative Problem Solving: Demonstrated ability to foresee obstacles, generate and implement solutions, and manage long-term changes as needed.
Aligned Values: Commitment to building a principled cooperative component of movements for racial justice, workplace democracy, and a solidarity economy.
- This position will be based in our primary office in Philadelphia, PA. While our staff are expected to work at our offices, we maintain a flexible work environment, including remote working and occasional out of town travel for work.
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a full time, salaried 40 hr/ week position. Starting FTE annual salary ranges from $45,000 – $47,000 depending on experience. Full time staff in Philadelphia are eligible for health coverage in addition to the USFWC Vision and Dental plan. The USFWC also provides generous fringe benefits including flexible holiday and paid time off, a minimum of three weeks annual vacation, and professional development stipend.
- To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com. Make the subject line of your email “Your Name, Operations-Manager Application”. Position will be open until filled, but applications submitted by Friday Dec 6th, close of business will receive priority.