USFWC members have access to a wide range of benefits and services designed to support business growth, promote democratic governance and management best practices, and foster ongoing worker-owner/member development.
Below are two 1-hour long videos (English and Spanish) for a video walk-through of our member benefits with our staff.
BUSINESS SUPPORT + TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
Providing cooperative-specific business support for members is a primary service area. Consider the Federation your go-to-partner for assistance in establishing and growing your democratic workplace.
- Custom Business Consultations – Member workplaces can request a 1-hour customized business consultation that includes specific resource recommendations, expert referrals, and need-based technical assistance support. This benefit is an update to, and fully replaces, USFWC’s prior benefit of 4-hours of free technical assistance per member per year.
- Expert Referrals & Reduced Service Rates with select in-network cooperative and business developers.
- Growth Planning & Loan Readiness Support in partnership with our friends at Shared Captial Cooperative.
- Inclusion in our online and print directory
The USFWC is proud to offer a national dental and vision programs, with a disability and accident insurance coming in 2020. We also are able to enroll organizations in some states in health insurance.
EDUCATION + TRAINING + RESOURCES
Cooperative Principle #5 – Education, Training, and Information. From online webinars to local workshops, regional conferences and our bi-annual national conference, the USFWC partners with ally organizations, such as the Democracy at Work Institute and the Democracy at Work Network, to provide ongoing learning opportunities for individual workers and workplaces across the country.
- Conference Discounts – Receive member-only discounted registration rate to the National Worker Cooperative Conference, Eastern Conference for Workplace Democracy, Western Worker Cooperative Conference and other regional events.
- Local Workshops & Online Webinar Series – Hosted in-person and online, we provide topical skill-based workshops for worker-owners with varying levels of democratic workplace experience. Receive member-only discounts on any workshop registration costs.
PEER NETWORKS + LOCAL ORGANIZING
As a grassroots organization, we prioritize creating opportunities for member-led education and organizing
These member-only spaces provide opportunities for members to connect with each other based on business stage/type or other specific interests. Through a combination of conference calls and in-person gatherings, these networks and councils meet occasionally throughout the year. Our current peer councils include:
- Policy and Advocacy
- Racial and Economic Justice
- Union Co-ops
- Movimiento de Inmigrantes in Cooperativas (MIC, Immigrant Council, specifically for Spanish-speakers)
As a national organization, we support member-led local organizing, mostly through collaboration with local cooperative business organizations. Learn More.
POLICY AND ADVOCACY
The USFWC is your national advocate, representing the interests of worker cooperatives and advancing democratic ownership with federal agencies and elected officials, as well as lending support to member-led local advocacy initiatives.
We are also members of the National Cooperative Business Association, American Sustainable Business Council, and CICOPA. Many member benefits extend to USFWC members through these national partnerships.