The members of the International Cooperative Alliance (ICA) have renewed the mandate of Ariel Guarco for the next four years. From a total of 779 total votes, Mr Guarco was re-elected President of the ICA with 455 of the votes. The elections took place at the ICA General Assembly on 20 June 2022, in Seville, Spain.
Ariel Guarco has been a cooperator since his youth, through his involvement in the Electric Cooperative of Coronel Pringles, in the southern part of Argentina. He has been the President of the ICA member Cooperative Confederation of the Argentine Republic (COOPERAR) since 2011, and he was a Board member of Cooperatives of the Americas from 2014-2018. Mr. Guarco has been an ICA Board member since 2013 and elected President of the ICA in November 2017.
He said: “I am humbled to be re-elected president of the ICA. In these four years I have done my best to meet the commitments of my mandate and I will offer once again my commitment, my dedication and my enthusiasm to move forward in a new chapter where we can crystallize new achievements.”
Two other candidates were standing for ICA President: Melina Morrison, who obtained 164 votes, nominated by Business Council of Co-operatives and Mutuals, Australia, and Jean-Louis Bancel, who obtained 160 votes, nominated by Coop FR, France.
ICA At Large Board of Directors
A new Board of Directors has also been elected. Twenty-two candidates were standing for 15 seats on the Board. The elected Board members are:
- Márcio Lopes de Freitas, Brazilian Cooperatives (OCB), Brazil
- Aditya Yadav, Indian Farm Forestry Development Cooperative Limited (IFFDC), India
- Giuseppe Attilio Dadda, Alleanza Cooperative Italiane, Italy
- George Magutu Mwangi, Kenya Union of Savings & Credit Cooperatives (KUSCCO), Kenya
- Iñigo Albizuri Landazabal, Confederación Española de Cooperativas de Trabajo Asociado (COCETA), Spain
- Zhenhong Cai, All China Federation of Supply and Marketing Cooperatives (ACFSMC), China
- Martin Lowery, National Cooperative Business Association (NCBA CLUSA), USA
- Toru Nakaya, JA Zenchu (Central Union of Agricultural Co-operatives), Japan
- Bahman Abdollahi, Iran Chamber of Cooperatives (ICC), Iran
- María Eugenia Pérez Zea, Asociación Colombiana de Cooperativa (Ascoop), Colombia
- Krasimir Ignatov, Central Cooperative Union Bulgaria, Bulgaria
- Dato’ Kamarudin Ismail, Malaysian National Cooperative Movement, Malaysia
- Simona Cavazzutti, Confederación de Cooperativas Rurales del Paraguay (CONCOPAR), Paraguay
- Marjaana Saarikoski, SOK Corporation, Finland
- Alexandra Wilson, Co-operatives and Mutuals Canada, Canada