Worker-owned brewery and scratch kitchen in the heart of Boston
We are Democracy Brewing, a bustling worker-owned brewery and scratch kitchen in the heart of Boston and we’re currently seeking a motivated, professional, and career-minded server.
Applicants should possess a desire to learn about food, beer, and worker cooperatives. More important than experience is a drive to continuously improve yourself and others, to put down roots, and to be part of an excellent team for the long-term.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, oversee and coordinate the planning, organizing, training, and leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, profitability, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness, and sanitation. Regularly measure and evaluate service levels and standards using guest and employee feedback and develop plans for continuous improvement. Be committed to learning and improving through reading and working with other company members. Continuous education and self development will be of highest priorities along with a commitment to coaching and developing the entire management team and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands completely and conforms to all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given attentive, friendly, and courteous service at all times.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility, sanitation, and cleanliness through training of employees and by creating a positive and productive working environment.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
- Make employment and termination decisions.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations are always meeting guest expectations.
- Continuously strives to develop staff to improve productivity.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports, and schedules in an organized and timely manner. Putting the infrastructure and systems in place that are required to operate the front of the house.
- Ensure that all FOH equipment (Shelving, dishwashers, PDR Bar, tablets, crowler machine, etc) is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection.
- Responsible for all restaurant inventories including food, beer, furniture, accessories, equipment, and tool inventories and must constantly manage and maintain documented detailed status in all areas including on hand quantities, costs, and quality levels. Keeping the staff informed of inventory levels and working with the CEO, Head Chef, and Head Brewer on costs and quality levels.
- Ensure product is always on hand on an as needed basis, through systematic ordering and forecasting techniques.
Ensure that all FOH orders received are correct in unit count and condition.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel, and, administer prompt, fair, and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
- Understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety, and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees, and guests.
- Assist in developing, planning, and executing restaurant marketing, advertising, and promotional activities and campaigns.
- Forecast and implement improvement plans for management development, and continuing education.
- Ensure all restaurant staff and management team members have necessary tools to perform daily duties.
- Communicate well all aspects of weekly operations by leading weekly team management meetings.
- Design and implement company policy and standards as needed.
- Be the example of how a worker owner at Democracy Brewing should conduct themselves both in and out of the building.
- Respond to any and all requests from the Chief Executive Officer in a timely manner.
Necessary Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
Advanced math skills, basic word processing, spreadsheet, and other computer skills, good verbal communication and listening skills, advanced hospitality skills, ability to resolve interpersonal conflicts, organizational skills, maintains high level of attention to detail, works with a high level of professionalism, ability to make trips up and down stairs while carrying up to 50 pounds, ability to work standing for a whole shift.
- As a worker cooperative after a year of full time employment you will be eligible for an ownership share – an opportunity to become a full equal partner in a democratic workplace. Becoming a worker-owner at Democracy Brewing includes profit sharing with the other worker-owners and a vote in decisions that affect the business.
- Paid sick leave
- Employee book clubs, volunteer events and birthday celebrations
- 2x/month problem solver meeting with management to continually improve overall workplace
- PERQ MBTA monthly pass
Compensation commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com