Website Mission West Community Development Partners
Job Title: Cooperative Development Outreach Coordinator
Reports To: Center Director, Cooperative Development Center
FLSA Status: Full Time/Salaried
Location: 407 Main Street SW, Ronan, MT
Funding Condition: All program-related positions at Mission West Community Development Partners are to be considered as year-to-year depending upon available funding for programs and satisfactory job performance
ABOUT US: Mission West Community Development Partners (formerly known as Lake County Community Development) is a non-profit, community economic development organization serving Lake, Sanders, and Mineral Counties, the Flathead Reservation, in Western Montana. We are located on the Flathead Reservation close to Flathead Lake and the Mission Mountains, and an hour and half from Glacier National Park, Kalispell, and Missoula.
Mission West staff is a dedicated team of community economic development professionals in advancing our mission to enhance the quality of life and sustainable economic well-being for all residents of the communities we serve. As one of the four core pillars of our community economic development model, the Cooperative Development Center, which was established in 1999, brings resources, education, and technical assistance to existing and developing cooperatives, including worker cooperatives. The Center has a strong focus on local/regional food systems development through growing agricultural and farmer-owned cooperatives, as a strategy to build community wealth in rural communities.
ABOUT THE POSITION: As Outreach Coordinator you will work to build deeper connections cooperatives we support, help new cooperative clients become aware of our services, share the unique impact of our program with funders, partners, and the broader community, and provide general support as needed to the cooperative development program. The primary focus of this position will be on education and outreach to co-op clients and generally in the community to promote the cooperative model. You will work closely with the Center Director in the implementation and management of Mission West’s Cooperative Development Center program, and specifically, assist with the development of the annual communications plan and content calendar.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Create regular website updates, weekly social media content, and quarterly newsletters relating to cooperative development
- Develop, design, and publish written and visual resource and marketing materials, such as brochures, posters, videos, and case studies (or in some cases managing contracts to do so)
- Respond to, follow up with, and reach out to groups seeking to establish new cooperatives and assisting with the initial intake process and evaluation of technical assistance needs.
- Regularly communicate with members, employees, and boards of directors of existing cooperatives to identify ongoing challenges and needs which can be supported by the Cooperative Development Center
- Collaborate and communicate with local, regional, and national organizations, partners, and external stakeholders and promote the services offered by Mission West
- Plan and coordinate cooperative trainings and workshops that benefit existing and emerging cooperatives
- Assist with event management for cooperative events such as the Northwest Food Hub Summit and Mission Mountain Area Pedal to Plate
- Assist with community interest meetings and member outreach for new cooperatives
- Represent Mission West and provide education about cooperative solutions that can address the needs and challenges of rural communities through presentations at conferences, community meetings, and events hosted both by Mission West and other partner organizations
- Assist with administrative duties as assigned
- Work with Center Director to develop funding sources, write grant proposals, evaluate and measure program impact, and complete the reporting requirements of grants
- Learn new skills and complete professional development by attending trainings and conferences and participating in cooperative development networks.
- Work on other special projects as may be assigned with the opportunity to focus on specific program areas based on skill, experience, and interest
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF:
- You are passionate about developing thriving rural communities and helping people work together
- You are excited about outreach, communications, and education, and are familiar with social media platforms, email marketing tools, design tools, and educational techniques
- You have experience with developing communications plans and content calendars, event management, public relations, and/or marketing
- You are ready to jump in and quickly get to know many stakeholders, cooperative clients, and partners
- Building new relationships and nurturing longstanding ones is at the core of what you do
- You are ready to assist cooperatives at all stages of development in limited-resource, rural and reservation environments
- You are detailed oriented with experience managing multiple projects and timelines
- You are a proactive person who can readily identify needs and next steps within a program and act on them
- You already have some knowledge about cooperative development and are willing to continue learning
- You may be knowledgeable in business development, food and agriculture systems, and/or grant writing and management (bonus if you have experience working on federal grants)
- You’re a college graduate or have equivalent experience working in cooperative development
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
SCHEDULE , WORKPLACE, AND BENEFITS:
- Full time position in Mission West’s office in downtown Ronan, MT in the beautiful Mission Valley. We are located on the Flathead Reservation, close to Flathead Lake and the Mission Mountains, and about an hour and half from Glacier National Park, Kalispell, and Missoula.
- Normal office hours are Monday through Friday between 8-5pm, but occasional evening and weekend work is required to attend board meetings, community events, and conferences.
- We encourage employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance, and this position will have a flexible schedule with the option to work from home part time following the initial training phase.
- 100% employer-paid health insurance with optional additions for family, dental and vision (employee paid) effective on the first day of the month following date of hire
- Employer contribution to retirement savings program
- Life insurance
- Two weeks PTO in addition to paid holidays and sick leave in addition to 11 paid holidays per year
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the Cooperative Development Center Director, Kaylee Thornley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered as they are received. For questions, please email or call 406-676-5919.
Mission West is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit missionwestcdp.org.