Website People's Food Co-op
Collectively managed cooperative grocer in Portland OR
People’s Food Co-op is a values driven, community-owned natural foods store, and we operate with a democratic, consensus-based Collective Management structure. As Collective Managers, we operate the store together, meaning that in addition to each of us holding a core position, we work Storekeeping shifts, serve on committees, attend monthly meetings, and participate in collective decisions to keep the Co-op financially sustainable and to make it a great place to work. Collective work requires us all to be actively engaged, and though it might be more work, our dedication to a democratic workplace serves both us and the broader community.
This 35-40 hour per week position includes working as the Internal Development Manager and Staff Development Co-Manager, Collective Management, and Storekeeping responsibilities. The purpose and job descriptions for these positions are as follows:
Internal Development Manager
- Facilitates the Co-op’s internal development through: cultivating strong leadership and relationships among the Board and Co-Management; coordinating Collective Management reporting on Board policies; ensuring timely, accurate, and effective communications among staff; and serving as the Board link.
Staff Development Personnel Co-Manager
- Responsible for orienting and training staff; administering staff benefits and payroll; and implementing staff development measures.
- Keep the Co-op financially viable
- Make food available to people in a humane environment
- Further People’s Ends and the Cooperative Principles
- Democratically manage the Co-op’s operations within the constraints (Limitations Policies) set forth by the Board of Directors
- To engage community members and provide prompt, welcoming service.
- To keep the store clean, safe, and well-functioning.
- To further the Ends of the co-op.
Compensation & Benefits include:
- $17/hour starting wage for all positions
- Human scale and empowered workplace
- Full time hours minimum of 35 hours per week
- 19% discount on purchases at the Co-op
- Employer funded medical and dental insurance (including access to naturopathy, chiropractic and acupuncture)
- Generous paid time off
- Annual raises
- Employer matching retirement benefits
Applications are due no later than 10am on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021
To learn more and download an application to apply, visit our website at: www.peoples.coop/employment
To apply for this job please visit www.peoples.coop.