Website Center for Family Life in Sunset Park
Cooperative Business Developer
Full Time Position
Center for Family Life (CFL) is a neighborhood-based family and social services organization with deep roots in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The mission of CFL is to promote positive outcomes for children and
adults through the provision of a comprehensive range of social services.
CFL’s Cooperative Development Program (CDP) is a nationally-recognized leader in development of worker-owned cooperative businesses in immigrant, low-income communities. Worker cooperatives are wholly worker-owned and democratically-run. Since 2006, we have provided tailored technical assistance and training to 21 cooperatives representing 540 worker-owners, and trained 30+
community-based organizations on cooperative development.
Currently, CFL is focusing on scaling the growth of cooperatives in the cleaning sector by developing the first social franchise in the USA (BrightlyⓇ ) with emphasis on protecting workers, and giving
cooperatives access to the digital economy through developing the online platform Up & Go. CFL believes that it is more important than ever to strengthen community self-determination, leadership, and
We invite you to be part of creating a new economy that puts workers in the center of the socio-economic system.
The Position: This is a full time position that requires you to speak Spanish fluently. You will join a group of bilingual, experienced and energetic business developers to help us strengthen worker
cooperatives and expand our scaling initiatives.
Business Development (30%)
● Support the incubation of new BrightlyⓇ cooperative business using CFL’s cooperative
● Support groups of domestic workers to build strong governance and management systems for
● Engage organizational partners in our cooperative business development efforts
● Offer individual supports to participating workers to stay engaged in the cooperative
development process; make referrals to social services when appropriate
● Help the team reflect on/improve our cooperative development guides and tools
Technical Assistance (30%)
● Provide ongoing business management technical assistance to cooperative businesses based
on their stages of development & needs
● Provide coaching to worker- owners to develop their business management and social
● Conduct research for worker cooperatives, as needed, and/or in coordination with technical
partners (market research, local programs or resources, legal and tax issues, etc.); make referrals
● Develop & facilitate workshops to support worker-owners effectively manage & govern their
● Support worker-owners engage with and move through conflict that might arise in the group
Scaling Projects (30%)
● Brightly franchise supports: tools & systems development, strengthening the Brightly franchise
● Up & Go’s cooperative development supports
Program Admin (10%)
● Participate in weekly team meetings
● Track data and support team’s reporting efforts
● Support training outreach efforts and other projects as needed
Experience and Qualifications:
● Strong written and oral English and Spanish skills required.
● Strong group facilitation skills, including workshop & meeting facilitation.
● Project management skills to keep track of all activities needed, communicate with stakeholders and achieve goals.
● Understanding of adult literacy approach to teach complex business and social concepts
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice, especially with immigrant communities.
● Ability to thrive in a highly-collaborative work environment.
● Marketing experience or skills, a plus.
● Business finances experience, a plus
● B.A. in Business Administration, Marketing, Finance related, Public Administration, Social Work, Community Development; M.A. a plus.
● Minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience.
You may be a strong candidate, even if you don’t have all the skills and characteristics described above. If you are excited about this position, we want to read your application!
Compensation and Benefits
This position is Full Time, and we offer a competitive benefits package, including vacation, health care (medical, dental, vision), sick leave and access to a 403(B) plan. Salary range: $45,000 – $53,000
depending on experience.
Our offices are located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. We are currently operating virtually, but when safe, we will return to work to our Sunset Park location.
How to Apply
Please submit your application via: Paylocity AND send us your resume, cover letter and 3 references from current or former workplaces to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line should include: “Your Name, Cooperative Developer.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, however, applicants are
strongly encouraged to apply before August 15th, 2021.
The Center for Family Life, is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a Cooperative Development Team that reflects and shares community with the cooperatives we work with. Women,
people of color, LGBTQI identified people, immigrants, and people with disabilities are strongly urged to