CICOPA, the International Organisation of Industrial and Service Cooperatives, is looking for a Communication Officer, to join an international team based in Brussels (Belgium).
About the employer
CICOPA gathers member organisations from 32 countries, who affiliate 65,000 cooperative enterprises employing 4 million persons across the world. CICOPA is a sectoral organisation of the International Cooperative Alliance.
CICOPA represents the voice of cooperatives active in industry and services, democratically owned and managed enterprises, contributing to sustainable and inclusive growth while combining economic performance and social progress. CICOPA’s main policy priority is the promotion of worker ownership as a specific type of enterprise and labour organization.
On this basis, CICOPA’s main activities focus on:
promoting the development of workers’, producers’ and social cooperatives and their representative / support organisations
ensuring the representation of its members vis-à-vis international organisations
advocating, especially in the field of specific workers’, producers’ and social cooperative legislation and policies
producing knowledge on industrial and service cooperatives
CICOPA’s secretariat is based in Brussels (Belgium). CICOPA’s employees also contribute to the activities of CECOP, the European Confederation of cooperatives active in industry and services. CECOP represents the interests of industrial and service cooperatives vis-à-vis European institutions, as well as other European-level organisations.
More information about CICOPA & CECOP missions and activities:
About the job
The Communications Officer will be in charge of the implementation of the overall communications strategy of both CICOPA and CECOP. The position covers internal and external communications throughout the use of different platforms. She/he will work under the direct supervision of the Advocacy Coordinator and Membership Coordinator, and in close cooperation with the rest of the team.
Main tasks and responsibilities
· implement the overall communications strategy for CICOPA (world level) and CECOP (European level
· ensure the visibility of the two organizations and image positioning
· promote CICOPA and CECOP members by shedding light on their activities
· draft press releases, articles and other media materials and ensure their targeted distribution
· manage CICOPA and CECOP websites and social networks accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube)
· coordinate and produce the e-magazine “Work Together”
· edit the internal newsletters to members
· coordinate and produce communications tools and materials (reports, publications, leaflets, videos, etc)
· manage the relationships with journalists and media inquiries
· provide communication support for events (conferences, statutory meetings, etc)
· coordinate and animate the communications working group among the communications officers of member organisations
· liaise with communication officers from other cooperative organisations
· Master degree in communications, journalism or related field
· minimum 3 years’ experience as a communications officer in a national, European or international organisation
· knowledge of institutional partners (EU and UN institutions) is an asset
· experience in a membership based organisation is an asset
· interest and/or experience in the cooperative movement is a strong asset
· excellent spoken and written English, knowledge of Spanish and French is an asset
· strong writing skills and ability to adjust the message according to the audience
· proficiency in social media management
· ability to research, collect, analyse and summarize information
· familiarity with content management system (CMS) like WordPress and proficient with Mailchimp
· management of design and edition programs (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) and video-editing softwares are an asset
· capacity to organise one’s work agenda autonomously and proactively, managing multiple deadlines with consistency and accuracy
· adaptability to different environments with an international and multicultural mindset, and availability to travel occasionally
· flexibility and capacity to work in a team
What we offer
We offer a full-time 6-month fixed term contract, with the possibility to extend it to an open-ended contract. The gross monthly salary is from 2,460 EUR to 2,740 EUR, based on previous experience. Public transport within the Brussels region, meal vouchers and hospitalisation insurance are covered and additional benefits are provided.
The CICOPA offices are located in Brussels. The candidate must have a valid work permit for Belgium or be an EU national. We are looking for a candidate to join our team as soon as possible.
Applicants should send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2020 (midnight):
– A CV
– A cover letter (max 1 page) stating, in addition, the earliest date they would be able to start and their notice period (if applicable)
– A writing sample from their past work. Examples include: an article, or a press release, or a collection of social media post, or a foreword to a publication, etc.
The three documents should be sent in one PDF named: Full Name_COMM_Officer_CICOPA2020
In the subject line of your email please indicate your name and “Communication Officer Application.” Selection interviews, including a written exercise, are expected to be held in Brussels in April.