- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Interest and/or experience with business ownership (this position is on a path of collective ownership of our business)
- Strong commitment to and willingness to engage in political education and anti-oppression workshops
- Strong commitment to and willingness to engage in internal work to build a shop culture centered around accountability and transformative justice
- Agreement with our Points of Unity (https://designaction.org/about/points-of-unity)
- Excellent communication skills and ability to negotiate needs of various stakeholders
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take on or learn some web development, web design, or information architecture
- Basic experience with web development, information architecture, or web design
- Proficiency using project management tools such as Basecamp
- Experience with office or small business management
- Experience with UX design, user testing design and/or quality assurance
- Experience with collective decision-making
- Experience with WordPress as an administrator
- Experience using Harvest for time tracking and/or Forecasting
This position is full time (37.5 hrs/week) at $27/hr*. This will begin as a remote position. Bay Area applicants preferred, but we are open to remote workers from other locations. We are looking for someone to start immediately.
As a candidate, you will be eligible for an ownership position after completing a 9 month Collective Track period. A senior member of the shop will serve as your “buddy,” facilitating evaluations, support your growth, and orienting you to the flow of the shop. You will be expected to fulfill certain collective duties, including attending a weekly board meeting, as part of your ownership responsibilities.
- 75 hours of paid wellness/sick time each year, which begins upon hire
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Full health, dental and vision insurance
- Flex Spending Accounts (FSA) for medical, dependent care, and commuters
- Paid vacation starts at 37.5 hours annually after the first year, increasing based on longevity
- Possible year-end bonuses depending on annual profits
- Company patronage (profit sharing among owners)
- 3-month sabbatical available to long term members
One of the biggest pluses of being at Design Action is the rare opportunity to be a worker/owner at a design & tech business that is explicitly committed to social justice. Our democratic workplace structure (no bosses!) allows us to put our political values into action. In addition, many of our members are rooted in community activism and organizing on issues such as anti-imperialism, prison abolition, tenant & housing rights, anti-racism, gender equity, and environmental justice. We also hold regular anti-oppression trainings as well as annual staff and department retreats where we can build our camaraderie with one another and strategize on ways to keep our business bold, radical, and thriving.
Design Action is part of several alliances and networks such as Third World Resistance, Grassroots Global Justice, May First Movement Technology, The Radical Connections Network, Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives, and the U.S Federation of Worker Cooperatives. Collective members also have the opportunity to attend annual conferences such as the Allied Media Conference, Aspiration Tech, and Netroots, to present and/or participate in workshops as well as staff our informational booths.
To apply, please send your 1) resume and 2) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with cover letters will be reviewed.
BIPOC (BLACK, INDIGENOUS, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR), WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, AND LGBTQAI++ PEOPLE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* Pay rates are not negotiable