Website Design Action Collective
Want to use your skills to serve movements for social justice? Come join a unique team of designers & developers — who are also activists, organizers, cultural workers, artists and musicians — and become a part of our fast paced, mission driven shop.
Design Action is a worker-owned design and communications studio. Our shop was founded in 2002 and is located in downtown Oakland, California. We are committed to providing high-quality visual communications tools to progressive, non-profit, and grassroots activist organizations. Design Action is also a closed union shop affiliated with the Pacific Media Guild, Local 39521 Communication Workers of America (typographical sector, AFL/CIO). We are majority majority women / trans / gender non-conforming and people-of-color owned.
VISUAL DESIGNER ($31/hr)
- Design beautiful responsive web experiences for desktop, tablet, and mobile while adhering to client brand guidelines
- Collaborate with information architect to translate wireframes to designs
- Collaborate with web developer to plan feasible designs and quality check finished website product
- Communicate with clients to get feedback on drafts and iterate as necessary under tight deadlines
- Manage other designers working in supporting roles to produce designs for a project
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Interest and/or experience with business ownership (this position is on a path of collective ownership of our business)
- Strong commitment to and willingness to engage in political education and anti-oppression workshops
- Strong commitment to and willingness to engage in internal work to build a shop culture centered around accountability and transformative justice
- Agreement with our Points of Unity (https://designaction.org/about/points-of-unity)
- Experience with creating design mockups in Sketch
- Proficient in industry standard software (Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch)
- Portfolio containing design samples and project examples
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail & appreciation for design
- Ability to take on or learn some web development, project management, or information architecture
- Experience with and/or understanding of open-source content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal); the majority of our websites are built in WordPress
- Basic experience with HTML and CSS
- Basic experience with web development or information architecture; ability to create wireframes in Sketch
- Experience with project management
- Experience with office or small business management
- Experience with UX design, user testing, and/or quality assurance
- Experience with collective decision-making
The position is full time (37.5 hrs/week) at $31/hr*. This will begin as a remote position. Bay Area applicants preferred, but we are open to remote workers from other locations. We are looking for someone to start immediately.
As a candidate, you will be eligible for an ownership position after completing a 9 month Collective Track period. A senior member of the shop will serve as your “buddy,” facilitating evaluations, support your growth, and orienting you to the flow of the shop. You will be expected to fulfill certain collective duties, including attending a weekly board meeting, as part of your ownership responsibilities.
- 75 hours of paid wellness/sick time each year, which begins upon hire
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Full health, dental and vision insurance
- Flex Spending Accounts (FSA) for medical, dependent care, and commuters
- Paid vacation starts at 37.5 hours annually after the first year, increasing based on longevity
- Possible year-end bonuses depending on annual profits
- Company patronage (profit sharing)
- 3-month sabbatical at half pay available to long term members
One of the biggest pluses of being at Design Action is the rare opportunity to be a worker/owner at a design & tech business that is explicitly committed to social justice. Our democratic workplace structure (no bosses!) allows us to put our political values into action. In addition, many of our members are rooted in community activism and organizing on issues such as anti-imperialism, prison abolition, tenant & housing rights, anti-racism, gender equity, and environmental justice. We also hold regular anti-oppression trainings as well as annual staff and department retreats where we can build our camaraderie with one another and strategize on ways to keep our business bold, radical, and thriving.
Design Action is part of several alliances and networks such as Third World Resistance, Grassroots Global Justice, May First Movement Technology, The Radical Connections Network, Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives, and the U.S Federation of Worker Cooperatives. Collective members also have the opportunity to attend annual conferences such as the Allied Media Conference, Aspiration Tech, and Netroots, to present and/or participate in workshops as well as staff our informational booths.
To apply, please send your 1) resume, 2) cover letter, and 3) portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with all three will be reviewed.
BIPOC (BLACK, INDIGENOUS, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR), WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, AND LGBTQAI++ PEOPLE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* Pay rates are not negotiable. All DAC members receive the same pay rate.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com