Website East Bay Permanent Real Estate Cooperative
Creating permanently affordable housing in the East Bay
ABOUT OUR COOPERATIVE
The East Bay Permanent Real Estate Cooperative is a multi-stakeholder coop that facilitates BIPOC and allied communities to cooperatively organize, finance, purchase, occupy, and steward properties, taking them permanently off the speculative market. We create community controlled assets and empower our communities to cooperatively lead a just transition from an extractive capitalist system into one where communities are ecologically, emotionally, spiritually, culturally, and economically restorative and regenerative.
We are a team of six full-time and part-time staffers. As a candidate, you will be eligible for Staff Ownership in the coop after a candidacy period of 12 months and 500 hours. (Review our bylaws to learn what it means to become a Staff Owner.) You will be expected to develop your capacity to operate effectively in a collaborative and non-hierarchical collective. At times this may look like taking direction from other staff or community members, holding yourself accountable for responsibilities, stepping into leadership roles, or sharing leadership with other cooperative members.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Community Organizer’s main purpose is to co-create, implement, and coordinate community engagement and education projects with EB PREC staff and community members, which may include EB PREC member-owners, partner organizations, and the general public, in order to build and maintain relationships, facilitate community-led acquisition, and uplift BIPOC and allied voices in our work. You’ll be a primary liaison between our members and our staff, and you’ll work closely with all of our staff members to implement EB PREC’s larger education and organizing strategies.
- Co-create, implement, and coordinate community engagement and education projects with EB PREC staff and community members
- Work closely with staff and EB PREC members to initiate and implement organizing, education, and outreach opportunities in our community
- Coordinate our internal Community Organizing subcommittee by facilitating relevant meetings and delegating and following up on tasks with and for staff
- Work with Comms team to create visually clear/appealing content for community organizing and education.
- Facilitate EB PREC’s Community Owners (COs) forming and participating in self-organized CO Circles to build community and project potential
- Refine Organizing Group process, and support tenant organizations, Community Owners, and Resident Owners to form, organize and work with staff in researching and acquiring properties and/or join EB PREC
- Mobilize EB PREC member base for capital campaigns, membership drives, and other events by organizing/facilitating text/phone-banking sessions, email campaigns, tabling, orientations, and other digital and in-person outreach
- Build partnerships with housing justice organizations and tenant organizing groups to help facilitate community-led acquisitions; participate in select coalition meetings and committees and act as a primary liaison to keep the staff informed about progress
- Monitor and moderate online digital community owner engagement platforms such as our Member Network Facebook group and email listserv
- Maintain, organize, and disseminate our digital and print archives of organizing, outreach, and educational outcomes to ensure access by staff and community (such as recordings of workshops, educational materials, notes from member workshops, etc.)
- Track metrics around community participation, share reports with the team and iteratively respond to data and feedback
- Work closely with People Circle and Projects Circle to refine processes, and coordinate ongoing touchpoints with Investor Owners, Community Owners, and Resident Owners to support continued engagement and education
- Cooperate! We all carry the load collectively, and we all support the growth of the cooperative outside our major focus areas as needed. You may be asked to support other staff in various projects beyond your area of focus, to help carry our collective work forward. This is an important part of our staff dynamic, and reflects our commitments to solidarity and personal growth.
- Must be based in the East Bay
- Strong ties to the communities that form EB PREC member base
- Experience with base-building work in BIPOC and/or QTPOC communities
- Excellent writer and communicator
- Experience with slideshow presentations, graphic design, film and/or other visual storytelling
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Adept at learning computer/online tools and campaign/project management systems such as Google Suite, Asana, Mailchimp, etc.
- Strong commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppressive movement building
- Strong commitment to collective decision-making and working in a staff collective
- Self-motivated, flexible, and committed to responding to the needs of the community
- Experience building and developing cooperative and social justice organizations, campaigns, and programs (either as primary leader or part of leadership cohort)
- Experience with organizational development including but not limited to: management of operations, strategic planning, and facilitation of meetings
HOURS, PAY, AND BENEFITS
This position is full time (30 hrs/wk) at $25/hr. EB PREC offers Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to address the following questions in your cover letter:
- What excites you most about our cooperative?
- What role have you held in the past that you sense is most similar to this the role described or what life experiences have you had that you sense have prepared you most for this role?
- What challenges would you anticipate, if any, in taking this role
- What would your ideal hours be if you were to perform this role
- Describe one thing you’ve learned about our organization while researching this opportunity.
EB PREC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. BIPOC, queer and trans, women and gender non-conforming applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com