Website Equal Exchange
Small Farmers. Big Change.
Equal Exchange co-op is an alternative trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to foster mutually beneficial relationships between farmers and consumers. We’re looking for Customer Service Representatives for our east Customer Service team with strong communication and problem-solving skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to work well with others. Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Full-time, regular, non-exempt position on worker-owner track
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Salary: TBD
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Reports to: Customer Service Manager and/or Work Flow Supervisor
- Location: West Bridgewater, MA
- Responsible for: Sales customer service tasks and order taking, support to regional offices and Sales customers as needed, and other roles as determined by supervisor.
- Ability to communicate well with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to effectively problem solve with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities
- Ability to fill orders effectively and accurately
- Ability to be flexible & manage several tasks at once
- Good computer skills
- Exceptional attention to details
- Previous customer service experience preferred
- Experience in progressive organization preferred
- Interest in Equal Exchange’s mission and customer education
ORDER FULFILLMENT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE: (APPROXIMATELY 85-90%)
- Primary phone contact for sales orders, inquiries, and service questions
- Effectively answer phones, take accurate orders, and respond to questions and concerns
- Build customer confidence in our ability to care for them
- Understand customer needs
- Communicate Equal Exchange’s mission
- Communicate product/equipment knowledge
- Communicate promotional deals with customers
- Problem solve with customers and team members
- Process credit memos and call tags, track customer orders (UPS)
- Process distributor/broker, wholesale, and consumer orders (web & mail order)
- Flexibility in performing other tasks, such as packing and shipping orders when necessary
- Maintain account information electronically
- Learn about, and be comfortable discussing, EE product line
- Communicate with all departments (especially Operations and Finance)
- Respond to general customer inquiries
- Specific project management as determined with supervisor
PROGRAM SUPPORT/EDUCATION & OUTREACH: (UP TO APPROXIMATELY 5%, AS DETERMINED BY SUPERVISOR)
- Support Customer Service Manager on systems and project work as assigned
- Participation in Sales events, cupping(s), demos, etc.
- Project coordination and/or committee work
FAIR TRADE & WORKER OWNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: (APPROXIMATELY 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department and educational (Exchange Time) meetings
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies and the Fair Trade movement
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model
Send a cover letter, resume, list of 3 references, and completed answers to the application questions to: email@example.com or mail to: Equal Exchange Inc. 50 United Drive, West Bridgewater, MA 02379, C/O CS Dept.
- How do you think U.S. consumers think about and understand fair trade? What should Equal Exchange’s role be in the current fair trade market?
- A customer service representative’s goal is to help our Sales Department build and increase our sales through growth of existing accounts. How would you go about reaching this goal?
- Why should we feel confident that you can reach this goal?
- Define great customer service?
- What interests you most about this type of work?
Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status.