The USFWC is the national grassroots membership organization for worker cooperatives and other democratic workplaces. Our mission is to build a thriving cooperative movement of stable, empowering jobs through worker-ownership. Representing more than 250 member workplaces and 7,000 workers across the country, we advance worker-owned, -managed, and -governed workplaces through cooperative education, advocacy and development.
The Member Benefits Coordinator is a new position that works closely with the membership team and reports directly to the Communications Director. The Member Benefits Administrator supports USFWC operations and membership through administrative coordination of USFWC member benefits, especially tracking, invoicing, evaluating, and recruiting participation in dental, vision, and health benefits.
Scope of Work
General Coordination of benefits program:
- Respond to program questions, including inquiries received from members and potential members
- Work with the USFWC’s insurance brokers to facilitate adds, drops, and terminations of coverage
- Work with the Communications team to create materials for current and potential members to better understand the program
- Maintain up-to-date FAQ with answers to common health benefits questions
- Create and maintain a communications plan about the program and open enrollment to current members
- Manage annual health benefits open enrollment recruitment and expansion campaign
- Coordinate info on state by state health insurance options on an annual basis (in concert with the USFWC broker)
- Process member benefits invoices, including by sending reminders and other pertinent follow-up communication with enrolled members to ensure timely payment.
- Maintain up-to-date records of members in USFWC database.
- Coordinate relevant bookkeeping with USFWC Operations Manager
Benefits Promotion, Recruitment, Enrollment, and Usage:
- Promote USFWC member benefits, and expand benefits usage of eligible members
- Explore new possibilities for USFWC member benefits
- Establish additional USFWC member benefits with support from USFWC team with priority to retirement, business insurance, co-op to co-op purchasing, and health insurance programs
- Recruit prospective enrollees in benefits programs
- Follow-up with benefits applicants
- Support the onboarding process including intakes, invoicing and mailing of benefits cards and associated materials
- Monitor and expand usage of USFWC discount programs, including for online shopping perks, overseas educational tours, and registration discounts on training programs
- Facilitate or advice webinars and workshops on USFWC benefits
- Experience and comfort with self-directed work environments is required.
- Strong time management skills, organization and good judgment are required.
- Strong written and oral communications skills are required.
- Some experience with project management software and remote communications.
- Some experience on facilitation or with popular education is desirable.
- Required software competence: spreadsheet software, database and contact management software, general office software.
- Some experience with democratic decision-making is required; work experience in a worker cooperative is preferred.
- Experience with member-based and nonprofit organizations is preferred.
- Familiarity with the landscape of worker cooperatives, cooperative development and ethical small business is an asset.
- Outgoing personality, positive attitude and strong social skills are an asset.
- Bilingual English and Spanish is desirable.
This position will be based in our primary office in Philadelphia, PA. While our staff are expected to work at our offices, we maintain a flexible work environment, including remote working and occasional out of town travel for work.
About our team and leadership:
Our nine board members and eight staff members come from and are grounded in co-ops and
movements for racial and economic justice. Both our board and our staff are majority people of color. Most of our directors come from immigrant backgrounds, with half of our leadership being bilingual. We know that cooperative structures offer more self-determination for working people because our team is led by worker-owners and other thinkers and doers within movements for worker control and racial and economic justice. Across our work, we cultivate a grassroots network of leaders through mentorship, training, public speaking, and successive opportunities for gaining skills and responsibilities. Because of this, the USFWC can accomplish a scale of achievement that many do not expect from a small staff team. Our efforts have built a platform for activities to emerge and flourish through collective action.
The USFWC has continued to expand its programs, membership, and operations (including staff) in recent years. We are dedicated to serving our members and focusing on growing our impact, our value, and our member benefits. Member engagement is a key area of our focus, and also involves strengthening relationships with local and regional networks and building new local Chapters.
Compensation & Benefits: This is a 32-hour/ week salaried position, with hours increasing to 40 / week based on our success in growing the program. Starting FTE annual salary ranges from $43,000 – $46,000 depending on experience. Full time staff in Philadelphia are eligible for health coverage in addition to the USFWC Vision and Dental plan. The USFWC also provides generous fringe benefits including flexible holiday and paid time off, a minimum of three weeks annual vacation, and professional development stipend.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make the subject line of your email “Your Name, Member Benefits Coordinator Application”. Position will be open until filled, but applications submitted by Friday Dec 13th, close of business will receive priority.