The U.S. Federation of Worker Cooperatives (USFWC) is the national grassroots membership organization for worker cooperatives and other democratic workplaces. Our mission is to build a thriving cooperative movement of stable, empowering jobs through worker-ownership. Representing 375 member workplaces (and growing) and 10,000 workers across the country, we support worker-owned, -managed, and -governed workplaces and work to advance racial and economic justice through cooperative education, organizing, advocacy, and development.
The Membership and Worker Benefits Coordinator joins at an exciting time for the USFWC. Our membership is growing steadily, fueled by a decade’s worth of momentum. USFWC programs have created a platform for Black, immigrant, and LGBTQIA, and Spanish-speaking co-op leaders to flourish. The Membership and Worker Benefits Coordinator will help build on this momentum by cultivating excellent relationships with our members, getting the word out about our programs and opportunities, expanding worker access to healthcare, and maintaining the administrative systems that help our programs function. They will join our Membership Team, which communicates directly with our rapidly growing membership of worker-owned co-ops and adjacent workplaces and runs many of our member-facing programs and services. They will work especially closely with our Worker Benefits Program to improve health equity across the cooperative economy by providing dental, vision, accident and disability insurance to our members’ employees.
This is a 20-30 hour/week remote staff position (final hours to be negotiated with the successful candidate) $50,000-$55,000/year prorated based on hours worked. This position reports to the Membership Director. Applicants residing in CA, DC, GA, MA, NC, NM, NY, PA, TN or TX will receive preference, but exceptional candidates from other states may be considered. Candidates who are bilingual in Spanish and English are encouraged to apply.
(Note: to allow a realistic workload, exact duties will be negotiated based on final hours per week)
Recruitment, Renewals, and Enrollment (50%)
- Member Recruitment and Renewals
- Maintain data for the USFWC national directory of worker cooperatives and democratic workplaces, including by verifying cooperatives that might be new to the USFWC’s awareness, adding new cooperatives to the New Cooperatives in our Universe Form and sending follow-up to Membership Manager
- Use USFWC’s CiviCRM database to track and maintain up-to-date information on engagement, recruitment and renewals
- Support Membership Manager with regular cross-departmental audits of membership roster and dues payments with Operations/ Finance Manager
- Support Membership Manager with the recruitment and onboarding process for new members
- Phone bank members throughout the year as needed
- Worker Benefits Open Enrollment
- During open enrollment time (September-December), phonebank renewing and unenrolled members and process email follow-ups
- Support onboarding for new mid-year enrolling groups in collaboration with Worker Benefits Manager
- Use Airtable to track and maintain up-to-date recruitment and enrollment
- Track enrolled organizations’ membership status, checking that enrolled orgs are in process of joining/renewing or fully active.
Routine Administration & Invoicing (50%)
- Worker Benefits
- Process basic troubleshooting asks like card requests, manual distribution, etc.
- Process adds, drops, and terminations of coverage
- In collaboration with Worker Benefits Manager, creates resources for enrolled member organizations and workers including info sheets, videos, and other materials
- Support on administrative tasks to process dental and vision benefits invoices, including by sending reminders and other pertinent follow-up communication with enrolled members to ensure timely payment.
- Monitor the email@example.com email inbox, referring messages to the appropriate people within the organization and answering basic information inquiries or TA questions
- Support with answering general info request voicemails and calls that come in through USFWC office line, sending follow-up information to callers as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date records of members in USFWC database, including benefits enrollment
- Inform the Membership Manager of new information including member needs collected during administrative processes
- Support administrative tasks to process membership dues. This includes requesting financial information from members, invoicing, collecting dues and follow up communication with members.
- Strong understanding of racial and economic justice.
- Comfort with self-directed work environments
- Strong time management skills, organization and good judgment
- Strong understanding of the importance of maintaining confidentiality and protecting sensitive information
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Competence with spreadsheet software, database and contact management software (we use Airtable and CiviCRM), general office software, remote workspace tools (we use Asana, GSuite, Box and Slack)
- Comfort engaging in phone banking and generative conversations with members is required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with member-based and/or nonprofit organizations
- Demonstrated comfort with phone-based outreach e.g. through community organizing, customer service, or phone banking
- Familiarity with the landscape of worker cooperatives, cooperative development and ethical small business
Details about the position
Compensation & Benefits
This is a 20-30 hour/week salaried position, with a starting FTE (40 hour full time equivalent) base salary of $50,000-$55,000 (prorated based on hours worked). Staff receive automatic annual raises. The USFWC provides healthcare, vision and dental coverage or a healthcare stipend alternative for full time equivalent employees working 28+ hours per week, and a pro-rated healthcare stipend for more part-time staff. Among our generous fringe benefits for all staff, we offer flexible holiday pay, 3-5 weeks of annual vacation, and a stipend for professional development.
Applicants residing in CA, DC, GA, MA, NC, NM, NY, PA, TN or TX will receive preference for this position, but exceptional candidates from other states may be considered. Our workplace is remote, with staff spread across the country. We maintain a flexible work environment, with occasional out of town travel for work as health guidelines allow.
About Being on Staff:
U.S. Federation of Worker Cooperatives is a growing organization, currently consisting of 19 staff along with leadership from our nine-member Board of Directors. The USFWC has expanded both its programs and its staff significantly over the last five years. As our membership and the demand for our programs continues to grow along with the worker co-op field, we are focused on growing our impact, our value, and our member benefits.
To apply please CLICK HERE and include a resume, cover letter, and 3 references from current or former workplaces (or significant organizing initiatives). The position will be open until filled.
The USFWC is an Equal Opportunity employer. We highly encourage applicants of color, applicants who grew up poor or working class, LGBTQIA applicants, and applicants from other historically marginalized communities to apply.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.