Shared Capital Cooperative seeks a Director of Lending as part of its senior management team of the $17 million national CDFI loan fund. With a successful, 40-year track record, Shared Capital specializes in financing cooperative enterprises, including worker-owned businesses, food co-ops, small farmer and producer co-ops, and housing cooperatives. Shared Capital’s mission is to build a just, equitable, and democratic economy by investing in cooperative enterprises. Shared Capital is organized as a cooperative association that is democratically owned and governed by more than 250 cooperatives across 36 states.
The Director of Lending reports to the Executive Director. The position is based at Shared Capital’s national office in Minneapolis-St. Paul.
The Director of Lending is expected to deliver the following results:
Leadership and Oversight of Lending Programs
• Manage effective and efficient lending processes and systems while ensuring compliance with lending policies and standards.
• Lead business development activities to achieve annual lending goals and meet the needs of members and other cooperative businesses.
• Supervise and support members of the Lending Team, including staff and contract loan officers and loan administrator.
• Underwrite loans to cooperative businesses and housing cooperatives, including conducting due diligence and credit analysis, preparing credit memos, and presenting recommendations to loan committee and board.
• Provide technical assistance and support to cooperatives to help them plan for growth and to support their long-term financial success.
• Appropriately structure loans, negotiate terms, and coordinate with local and national lending partners, such as banks, credit unions, and other CDFIs.
Portfolio & Risk Management
• Monitor and manage portfolio performance and risk.
• Manage loan workouts and restructuring, as well as foreclosures and liquidations, when necessary.
• Oversee loan compliance and reporting to management, board of directors, and external stakeholders.
Technical Assistance and Training
• Represent Shared Capital as a presenter and trainer at various venues.
• Directly deliver technical assistance and advice to cooperative business.
• Manage Technical Assistance and Training programs and delivery systems to support cooperative businesses, including current borrowers.
• As part of the senior management team, help lead the implementation of the organization’s strategic vision, goals, and annual work plan.
• Set lending goals and business development strategies.
• Manage relationships with key lending partners.
• Lead the development of innovative lending programs and partnerships that advance our mission.
• Contribute significantly to a healthy and innovative organizational culture rooted in a commitment to racial, social, and economic equity and justice.
Qualifications and Characteristics
The successful candidate will be a person with the following characteristics and qualifications:
• Minimum 7-10 years of small business and commercial lending experience, especially in a CDFI or other community lending organization.
• Strong financial analysis and credit underwriting knowledge and creative deal-structuring experience.
• 5 years or more of experience as director of lending, chief lending officer, or similar strongly preferred.
• Successful supervisory experience coaching and empowering staff and building accountable teams.
• Demonstrated experience managing workouts, foreclosures, and liquidations.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Significant proficiency with Microsoft office suite, especially Excel, and experience with, and ability to learn, loan servicing software.
• Significant management experience with a CDFI loan fund is preferred or must have an interest and commitment to developing knowledge of CDFI lending.
• Knowledge or familiarity with cooperatives highly desirable.
• Proven capacity to work effectively and build respectful relationships with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Commitment to equity and justice, and to the mission of the organization.
• Willingness and ability to travel (when safe to do so).
This is a full-time, exempt position. Starting salary range is $82,000 to $107,000, depending on qualifications. Shared Capital offers a generous benefits package, including employer-paid health and dental coverage, Health Savings Account, short- and long-term disability, matching retirement contributions, and generous Paid Time Off starting at 26 days per year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Shared Capital Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to having a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and encourage applications from people of color, women, and LGBTQ. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, personal credit score, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Send cover letter and resume to Hiring Manager at email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org