Our Member Councils and Peer Networks are shaping the future of the worker co-op movement in the U.S. through offers and needs markets, collective education & learning and political advocacy for a worker-centered economy. Here are the highlights for this month from some of our councils & networks:
- Policy & Advocacy Council: Held a deep-dive discussion on government funding approaches, to understand the opportunities and challenges of different models. Representatives from Madison, WI, New York City, California, Philadelphia and Miami shared their experiences with past and current initiatives.
- Union Co-ops Council: Members of the Council led two workshops at this year’s Labor Notes conference in Chicago: “Union Co-ops versus Racial Capitalism: Challenges and Prospects in the Covid Era” and “Union Workers Co-ops as the basis of an economy that works for all”. They are planning to host a day-long track on Union Cooperative Solidarity at the 2022 Worker Co-op Conference in Philadelphia this fall as well!
- International Worker Co-op Council: Historic leaders in the USFWC International Council including Daniella Priesler and Maru Bautista convened to discuss goals to update their governance model, outline programming for the year and bolster member-led international work to present at the 2022 Worker Co-op Conference
- Tech Worker Peer Network: During their June meeting the network discussed different privacy protecting software platforms and prepared to make some recommendations to the broader worker co-op membership on cyber security
- Booksellers Peer Network: The network had an informal meeting June 21st where they discussed a range of topics including compensating founders and sweat equity, occupancy issues and non-book-related revenue streams, which will set up larger focused discussions with the group over the next few months
What’s coming up?
Policy pulses are coming up! Click here to learn more and join the conversation on USFWC policy priorities.
See our events calendar to register for the upcoming August Member Council & Peer network meetings
Councils are taking the lead in designing day-long tracks for the 2022 Worker Co-op Conference, in person in Philadelphia September 9th and 10th – see what they’re planning on our conference Schedule page!